KIDS NEED STORIES
I am a parent and part-time teacher, with over 25 years experience in the classroom. I also have an interest in resources for children with autism. I have traditionally published teaching resources in the UK and write web resources which support the US curriculum.
Time For Bed Little Ted is my first story app, and KIDS NEED STORIES was created to offer beautifully illustrated, engaging stories which are both fun to read and educationally sound. My starting point was to look at the picture books that my children enjoyed when they were younger and at story apps which are currently available.
This first story app makes for fun reading but is also a calming bedtime story, which is supportive of a child's night-time routine. Interactions are kept minimal and are relevant to the text. There are random variations to the touch interactions, to give added value. Not only is it a perfect story for a child's tablet - one which can be taken on trips and vacations, when space for physical books is limited - but a parent can record their own narration if they are planning a trip away from home.
* Professionally narrated rhyming text
* A story which is suitable for both genders
* A suitable story for young children or those with special needs
* Colourful and engaging illustrations
* Simple interactions, some of which change on each successive reading
* 'Record Your Own Narration' facility
* The option to turn off narration and read the story yourself
* Simple vocabulary, appropriate for young learners, enhanced with repetition, rhyme
and a familiar music composition
* Add-on colouring activity
Skills and Learning Features
* Develops listening skills
* Promotes spelling and phonemic awareness
* Develops social/life skills e.g. tidying up, self-care and so on
* Is a useful resource for those who are English language learners
* Provides US Common Core Standards links in English and Maths
* Includes implicit aspects of Bloom's Taxonomy
Bedtime stories strengthen the parent/child bond, bringing both together in a shared experience. They also promote good reading habits from a young age and give children a head start in their language development. A good bedtime routine can promote a good night's sleep, thus reducing behavioural issues and reducing anxiety.